Finding Inspiration in Every Turn
I thought doing a bio would be easy but it's not.
So here is my resume to let you know all about me.
Rick Nease Design - Columbia, TN.
Artist, illustrator and designer - February 2008 - Present (Freelance)
• Lead Book Designer/Illustrator for Read The Spirit and David Crumm Media
• Create designs, concepts, and sample layouts based on knowledge of
layout principles and esthetic design concepts for print/web/mobile.
• Confer with clients to discuss and determine layout design.
• Develop graphics and layouts for product illustrations,
company logos, and Internet websites.
• Review final layouts and suggest improvements as needed.
Detroit Free Press - Detroit, MI
Art director/ illustration - November 1995 - February 2014
• Develop and create illustrations, infographics and design elements through out the paper.
• Meet and coordinate with section editors/writers to develop design and illustration art,
based on knowledge of layout principles and esthetic design concepts.
• Prepare illustrations or rough sketches of material, discussing them with
editors and page designers and making necessary changes.
• Hire and coordinate freelance illustrators. Work as liaison between the illustrator
and the editor and/or writers, managing and staying within freelance budgets.
• Maintain an archive of images, photos, or previous work products.
• Research new software and design concepts.
The Toledo Blade - Toledo, OH
Editorial art director - April 1986 - November 1995
• Draw and print charts, graphs, illustrations, and other artwork, using computer.
• Hire, train and direct staff members to develop graphic concepts.
• Review illustrative material to determine if it conforms to standards and specifications.
• Attend photo shoots and printing sessions to ensure that the products needed are obtained.
• Create custom illustrations or other graphic elements.
• Maintain journalistic integrity by validating all information contained
within produced informational graphics